Georgina specialises in commercial and employment law. Since joining chambers in October 2015 she has been instructed on matters in the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court, Employment Appeal Tribunal, and employment tribunals and county courts. Clients have praised Georgina’s "clear, concise and practical advice”, and commented that they "could not have been more impressed” by her representation.
Georgina’s recent and current work includes:
- Boath v Barclays: Ongoing high value employment tribunal litigation (bonus and whistleblowing claims relating to an SFO investigation into the bank) brought by the Chairman of the Financial Institutions Group (led by Jonathan Cohen QC)
- Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd and others v Aston Scott Group Ltd and others: Application for interim relief to enforce restrictive covenants (led by Gavin Mansfield QC)
- DWP v Mughal UKEAT/0343/15/JOJ: full hearing before the EAT regarding reinstatement and perversity (sole counsel)
Georgina has experience of her practice areas beyond her year of call, having spent a year working in the litigation and employment teams at Bates Wells Braithwaite LLP
and WeirFolds LLP
(in Toronto) before her pupillage. Her pragmatic and client-focused approach to litigation is also informed by a recent secondment to a leading City law firm.
Georgina frequently acts as advocate and advisor in commercial disputes, including those raising questions of contractual construction and rectification, partnership, insolvency, and fiduciary and directors’ duties.
Georgina has acted in a number of multi-jurisdiction disputes, and has significant experience of anti-suit injunctions. She is familiar with the different approaches taken by the English, Canadian and Caribbean courts to anti-suit relief, and in 2013 presented a paper on this subject to the Jamaican Bar Association.
Georgina also brings experience of large-scale commercial litigation gained whilst at WeirFoulds LLP, where she assisted on matters including a Competition Bureau investigation into criminal bid-rigging, a Privy Council appeal, and a class action against General Motors Canada Limited.
Georgina’s recent work includes:
- Assisting BT with large-scale litigation relating to the entitlement of utility companies to recover the costs of repairing negligent damage to their networks
- Representing the Defendant in a dispute arising from alleged breach of a software license contract (sole counsel)
- Defending ongoing county court proceedings brought in breach of a settlement agreement (sole counsel)
- Assisting with partnership disputes, including drafting particulars of claim in an accountancy firm dispute and advising on a claim arising from a merger of firms of solicitors (sole counsel)
Unusually for a barrister of her call, Georgina has considerable experience of High Court employment litigation (ranging from interim relief to trial).
Whilst working at solicitors’ firms Georgina gained experience of assisting on restrictive covenant disputes from their earliest stages, and from both Claimant and Defendant perspectives. As counsel, her recent cases include:
- Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd and others v Aston Scott Group Ltd and others: Acted for three of the defendants in an application for interim relief to enforce restrictive covenants (led by Gavin Mansfield QC)
- Praxis Capital Ltd v Burgess  EWHC 2631: Part of the legal team representing the Defendant at trial in a case concerning alleged breaches of post-termination restrictions and obligations of confidentiality (as a pupil, assisting Daniel Tatton Brown)
Georgina is regularly instructed to advise and represent clients in all areas of statutory employment law including unfair dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, whistleblowing and TUPE. She frequently handles cases of particular commercial or emotional sensitivity and as such is familiar with seeking and resisting measures such as hearings in private, restricted reporting orders and anonymity orders.
- Boath v Barclays: Ongoing employment tribunal litigation (bonus and whistleblowing claims relating to an SFO investigation into the bank) brought by the Chairman of the Financial Institutions Group (led by Jonathan Cohen QC)
- McAlinden v Lazarov and others: Representing the successful Respondent in the first case on whether fringe theatre actors in a profit share production are workers. This case generated national interest and was reported by the BBC, The Independent and The Stage
- DWP v Mughal UKEAT/0343/15/JOJ: Full hearing before the EAT regarding reinstatement and perversity (sole counsel, against counsel on Attorney General’s B panel)
- Secured advantageous settlement for a Managing Director claiming automatically unfair dismissal relating to his functions as a pension fund trustee
- Advising on and litigating highly sensitive situations involving allegations of discrimination made by current employees (including allegations relating to flexible shift requirements, missed promotion opportunities and pay)
Georgina has particular experience of advising and representing charities and not-for-profit clients. Before pupillage she worked at Bates Wells Braithwaite LLP, a leading firm in the charity sector, and assisted a variety of charities and not-for-profit clients with employment and employment-related disputes.
Recent and current cases in this sector include:
- Representing a learning disabilities charity in relation to a number of discrimination claims brought by a nurse (case ongoing)
- Representing a health care charity in relation to claims brought by an unsuccessful job applicant
- Securing a costs order in favour of an educational foundation in order to recover charitable funds spent on defending meritless employment tribunal litigation
Georgina is a member of the Charity Law Association.
Georgina has experience of acting for regulators in relation to disciplinary proceedings and related tribunal and High Court litigation. She is currently instructed in matters on behalf of the General Dental Council and Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Scholarships and Prizes
- Harold G Fox Scholarship (2013-2014) (working in litigation department of WeirFoulds LLP, with secondment to the Court of Appeal for Ontario)
- Evan Ashfield Memorial Prize for"outstanding” representation in employment tribunal cases (2012-2013)
- Inner Temple Major Scholarship (2012-2013)
- Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award (2012-2013)
- Winner, Inner Temple Pepperdine Moot (2012)
- Finalist, Inner Temple Lawson Moot (2013)
- Inner Temple Exhibition Award (2011-2012)
- City University/11 King’s Bench Walk Prize for Public Law (2011-2012)
- 2012-2013 Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding)
- 2011-2012 Graduate Diploma in Law (Commendation)
- 2008-2011 BA English, University of Cambridge (2:1)
- Charity Law Association
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (LCLCBA)
- Government Legal Department's Junior Junior Barrister Scheme
- Bar Pro Bono Unit
- Free Representation Unit
Georgina regularly gives talks and seminars. Examples include:
- Anti –Suit Injunctions: Getting Results in Multi-Jurisdiction Disputes (at the Jamaican Bar Association, with Frank Walwyn)
- Employment Litigation in the High Court (at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, with Chesca Lord)
- Social Media and Employment issues (at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, with David Reade QC)
- Six Recent Employment Cases (at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP with Craig Rajgopaul and Sophia Berry)