Anirudh has a significant interest in all areas of commercial law, including civil fraud and asset recovery. He is well placed to act in cases with an international angle.
His significant commercial instructions to date include:
- Acting successfully for the Claimants (over 1,500 Brazilian orange farmers) in Viegas and Sanches & Ors v Cutrale & Ors (junior counsel led by James Flynn KC and James Ramsden KC). This business and human rights case is a claim for competition damages, arising from anti-competitive activities by individuals and companies involved in orange juice production. The Claimants successfully established jurisdiction against the two orange juice tycoons and the case continues.
- Acting as part of the Claimants’ core team in Mariana v BHP (junior counsel in team led by Charles Hollander KC). This multi-billion pound commercial group action, arising from the collapse of a Brazilian dam, is one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases for 2020.
- Acting for a high net worth commercial party in a civil fraud claim (as junior counsel).
- Acting for a Claimant in a multi-million pound bonus dispute, which raised issues regarding contract formation (as junior counsel to David Reade KC).
- Advising on a £4m asset recovery matter raising issues under the Proceeds of Crime Act and involving multiple jurisdictions (as junior counsel to James Ramsden KC).
- Advising on the merits of a £250k civil fraud claim (as sole counsel).
- Acting for the Defendants in a six-figure dispute, including at contestsed interim hearing.