Ed is noted for a practice which “has seen him in courts of all levels, up to the Supreme Court” (Chambers & Partners 2017 & 2020).
Supreme Court & Court of Appeal
- P v. Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis  2 CMLR 4;  ICR 560;  IRLR 66; Times, November 14 2017 – landmark victory in Supreme Court for police officers bringing discrimination claims in the Employment Tribunal following police misconduct proceedings; important case on direct effect of EU Directives;  IRLR 301, CA – immunity from suit of Police Misconduct Panel from discrimination claims in the Employment Tribunal. Led by Karon Monaghan QC in the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court having appeared alone in the ET and the EAT.
- Dr S Verma v. Barts and the London NHS Trust  ICR 727,  IRLR 567, SC (meaning of pay protection for doctors in the NHS) – appeared alone and successfully in the EAT and led by Karon Monaghan QC in the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, where he was personally mentioned for his “diligence” by Lord Carnwath in the Judgment.
- Green v. SIG Trading Ltd  IRLR 123; The Times, December 3, 2018, CA (listed for two days with British Council v Jeffery  IRLR 935, EAT). Important case on territorial reach of Employment Rights Act to international whistleblowers. Ed led Grahame Anderson in the Court of Appeal against two silks.
Recent EAT cases:
- Alastair Dobbie v. Paula Felton t/a Feltons Solictors  2 WLUK 175 – appeared successfully (having not appeared below) in this appeal on the proper application of the public interest test in whistleblowing cases (IDS Volume 14, Chapter 3.40a and 3.47).
- Sophia Walker v. Wallem Shipmanagement Limited & Others  IRLR 257 – construction of the “mariner” provision in 81of the Equality Act 2010 to those who apply to work on a ship.
- Andruhovics v Sapient Limited UKEAT/0031/81/RN – scope of duty on ET to assist litigants in person to formulate their claims. Represented successful Respondent. 5 separate appeals to the Court of Appeal dismissed on the papers by Longmore LJ in January 2019.
- Wright v. Aegis Defence Services UKEAT/0173/17/DM – employment status and territorial reach of security contractor in Kabul, Afghanistan (IDS Volume 3, Chapter 2.30 and Volume 5, Chapter 2.67).
- Green v. SIG  ICR 1274 – objective assessment of strength of connection test in territorial reach cases, attracted widespread industry commentary in the UK and abroad (Harvey Division H [1108.01], IDS Emp. L. Brief 2017, 1073) (sole counsel against a silk).
- Dr Lees v. Imperial College of Science and Technology UKEAT/0288/15/RN – representing Imperial in an appeal concerning the meaning of the redundancy payment provisions in s.136 ERA (IDS Volume 9, Chapter 1.43).
- Dr S Verma v. Newham University Hospital NHS Trust UKEAT/0255/15/JOJ – representing the doctor in a further pay protection challenge to the NHS terms and conditions of service following the challenge in the Supreme Court.
- Russell v. College of North West London  All ER (D) 200 (Sep) – represented local authority in this two-day case before the EAT concerning the “Bradford Score” and disability discrimination (see: Equal Opportunities Review, October 2014).
- George v. London Borough of Brent  All ER (D) 10 (Sep) and (No.2) UKEAT/0233/15/DM – represented local authority in this case about trial periods in redundancy law, successfully defeated claim on remission on each occasion. He recently appeared in (No.3) UKEAT/0089/18/RN as sole counsel against a silk.
- Igbinake v. Axis Security  All ER(D) 51 (Sep) – represented appellant pro-bono is case about inadequacy of Tribunal reasons and religious discrimination.
Ed is a member of the ELAAS scheme and appears pro-bono in the EAT in that capacity, assisting and representing litigants in person with apparently hopeless appeals. Ed has also appeared in the EAT on behalf of Advocate.