Jamie has an unusual level of High Court experience for a barrister of his call, and is often instructed to appear against barristers many years his senior. He is frequently instructed in cases involving a cross-border dimension or particular complexity.
Recent and current work includes:
- Alesco Risk Management Services Limited & ors v Bishopsgate Insurance Brokers Limited & Ors EWHC 2839 (QB) (led by David Craig QC and Amy Rogers) –in this insurance industry “team move” litigation involving allegations of dishonesty and conspiracy to injure, Jamie acted successfully for the Corporate Defendants.
- JLT Specialty Ltd & Ors v Gordon & Ors (led by Gavin Mansﬁeld QC) – Jamie is instructed by the First Defendant in high-value “team move” litigation.
- Acting for a high-end Indian restaurant chain in a “team move” claim involving allegations of conspiracy to poach top cooking staﬀ.
- Potensis Ltd v Bennett– as sole counsel, Jamie secured an injunction and favourable costs order, in the Queens’ Bench Division of the High Court, against a departing real estate employee acting in breach of his post-termination restrictions.
- Vanden Recycling Ltd v Kras Recycling BV and others EWHC 3616 (QB);  EWCA Civ 534 – Jamie acted for the Defendants (led by Jonathan Cohen QC) in complex employee competition litigation.
- Willis v JLT and others– Jamie acted for the Claimants (led by Gavin Mansﬁeld QC and Amy Rogers) in high-value “team move” litigation.
Statutory Employment Law
Jamie also advises and represents clients across all aspects of statutory employment law, including whistleblowing, discrimination, harassment, victimisation, redundancy, TUPE and questions of jurisdiction. Recent instructions have included:
- Mele v Angela Mortimer Plc & Ors – Jamie acted as sole counsel for the successful Claimant, a senior director dismissed after 25 years, in multi-week whistleblowing and discrimination litigation.
- Securing aggravated damages and substantial damages for injury to feelings for the claimant in a multi-day sexual harassment and discrimination claim.
- Acting for the Claimant (a nursery school teacher) in a whistleblowing unfair dismissal claim involving allegations of child abuse.
- Acting for the claimant/appellant in the ET and EAT in Ellis v Ratcliﬀ Palﬁnger (UKEAT/0438/13/BA).The EAT noted Jamie’s “careful analysis in his Skeleton Argument and oral submissions”.
- Mathur v Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft and others(led by Mohinderpal Sethi). Jamie acted for the Claimant in a multimillion pound claim involving whistleblowing detriments and unfair dismissal arising out of the LIBOR scandal; sex discrimination, and equal pay.
- Negotiating a £30,000 settlement for a claimant with learning diﬃculties in a claim for unpaid wages.
Jamie is the author.co-author of two chapters in International Employment Disputes (Eds. Oudkerk and Rogers, Sweet & Maxwell 2019) He regularly speaks to law ﬁrms about trends and tactics in employment matters.