Alexander’s commercial litigation practice covers the range of business disputes including contractual disputes, commercial fraud, shareholder disputes, disputes between directors/senior employees, disputes arising out of JVAs, agency disputes (including under the Commercial Agents Regulations), and franchising disputes.
He has experience across a range of industries with particular recent expertise in the IT, banking, recruitment, telecommunications, sports and media sectors. Recent cases include:
- AC Ltd v Lim  8 WLUK 15 (QB). Acted for successful claimant casino in its application for worldwide freezing injunction against foreign national. Subsequent successful application for finding that defendant was in contempt of court for non-compliance with disclosure and other provisions of the freezing order.
- AC Ltd v Al Sari (2019). Successful application for worldwide freezing injunction against foreign national.
- Iberia Lineas v Arik Air Ltd (2018). £Multi-m claim by Spanish national carrier, Iberia, against the Nigerian national carrier, Arik Air. Addressed novel points about when currency fluctuations might amount to an event frustrating a contract. Successful application for strike out of the Defence.
- Brainbox Digital Ltd v Backboard Media GmbH  EWHC 2465 (QB). High-value international fraud dispute in IT sector, including freezing injunction. Successful application for security for costs. The Judgment gives important guidance on security for costs and the scope of the undertaking in damages at the injunctive stage. Alexander was led by David Reade QC.
- Gashi v Waves Consultancy Limited (2016) 5 day trial; successful defence of claim under franchising agreement alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Hills v Niksun Inc  EWCA Civ 115. Court of Appeal decision on scope of an employer’s discretion under bonus agreements after Braganza v BP Shipping Limited.
- Premier League Club X v Premier League Club Y (2015) Multi-day arbitration regarding proper construction of sales contract.
- National Housing Trust v YPSAC Limited  UKPC 43 Successful appeal to Privy Council re construction dispute. The Board gave important guidance upon: (i) the court’s power to interfere with arbitrator’s award and (ii) an arbitrator’s power to award compound interest. Led by Stuart Ritchie Q.C.
- AmTrust Europe Limited v Trust Risk Group SpA Long-running dispute between insurer and broker. Application for anti-arbitration injunction in relation to a Milan arbitration successfully resisted (see  EWHC 1927 (Comm)). Led by Charles Samek Q.C.
- Farnan v SAFC  EWHC 3759 (QB) Successful defence to contractual claim by former director against Sunderland AFC. Led by David Reade Q.C.
- Sanders v Bluebeard Pictures Limited (2015) Successful representation of claimant in Mercantile Court claim arising out of a dispute in the film industry.
- Daad Sharab v HRH Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal Bin Abdal-Aziz-Al-Saud  EWHC 2324 (Ch). High profile trial relating to the sale of a private jet to Colonel Gaddafi by Saudi Prince Al-Waleed. Extensive press coverage. Led by Clive Freedman Q.C. Succeeding in recovering US$10m.
Alexander is co-author, with Charlotte Davies, of the PLC note on Conspiracy in Commercial Fraud.