Asfandyar has quickly established himself as a “go-to” early junior for commercial dispute resolution, particularly in matters with an international element. Highlights include:
- Acting for a Russian energy company in LCIA proceedings on a c.$150m dispute with a major investment bank, arising out of a disputed loan (with Rupert D’Cruz KC).
- Acting in relation to the dispute about the sale of 60 Sloane Avenue to the Vatican’s Secretariat of State of the Holy See (with Charles Samek KC): Athena Capital v Secretariat of State of the Holy See.
- Acting for a steel company in a DIFC jurisdiction challenge on a c.$35 million dispute (with Mohinderpal Sethi KC): Paramjit Kahlon v Liberty Steel Group Ltd.
- Acting for a Swiss consultancy company in its dispute with an offshore shipping company arising out of alleged breaches of contract and directors’ duties (with Mohinderpal Sethi KC): Seahorn Sarl v Navios Corporation.
- Assisting in the representation of an international businessman in litigation across multiple jurisdictions arising out of the alleged “1MDB” fraud, involving several billions of USD in controversy.
- Acting for a litigation funder in claims of breach of contract, breach of trust, conspiracy and fraud arising out of construction disputes in Bahrain and Hong Kong.
- Acting for a solicitor’s firm in a dispute involving allegations of fraud and insolvency.
- Acting for a provider of domestic appliance extended warranty plans in proceedings concerning allegations of breach of contract and professional negligence.
- Acting for a provider of linen goods and services in a dispute with a hotel concerning allegations of breach of contract.