Georgina is an experienced employment junior with an unusual degree of appellate experience for her level of call.
She is regularly instructed as sole counsel in complex multi-day proceedings including whistleblowing, discrimination, unfair dismissal, TUPE, and employment status disputes. Georgina also has experience of discrimination claims in the county court, in particular in the education sector.
Georgina’s cases frequently involve issues of particular sensitivity, such as claims brought by or against senior executives, allegations with potential regulatory implications, cases involving claimants with severe disabilities, and tribunal claims brought in the context of High Court or criminal proceedings.
- Royal Mail Group Ltd v Efobi: Represented Royal Mail Group Ltd in Supreme Court appeal regarding whether the introduction of the Equality Act 2010 fundamentally changed the operation of the burden of proof in discrimination claims (2021, led by David Reade QC and David Flood, judgment pending).
- Royal Mencap Society v Tomlinson-Blake: Represented the successful Respondent in Supreme Court appeal regarding the applicability of the national minimum wage regime to sleep-in shifts (2020, led by David Reade QC and Niran de Silva). This appeal was a landmark case for the care sector and was one of The Lawyer’s Top Appeals of 2020.
- Acting for a partner in a law firm bringing sex discrimination and whistleblowing proceedings against the firm (2020).
- Representing a CEO dismissed for alleged financial mismanagement in unfair dismissal claim (2018, sole counsel against a silk).
- Egbayelo v Ocado: Representing the successful Respondent in the Employment Appeal Tribunal in an appeal concerning contractual variation (2019, sole counsel).
- Acting for a regulator in proceedings relating to a number of discrimination claims in the employment tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal (2018, sole counsel).
- Vigo v London Underground Ltd: Obtained reinstatement for Claimant, a tube driver (2018, sole counsel, against counsel of 2004 call).
- Acted for the Respondents in two claims brought by Claimants with schizophrenia, relating to perceived campaigns of surveillance and discrimination (2018, sole counsel).
- Boath v Barclays: Whistleblowing and bonus claims relating to events of 2008 and SFO investigation (see coverage here) (2016, led by Jonathan Cohen QC).
- Department of Work and Pensions v Mughal UKEAT/0343/15/JOJ: Represented the Claimant in full hearing before the Employment Appeal Tribunal concerning reinstatement and contributory fault (2016, sole counsel).
- McAlinden v Lazarov and others: Represented the successful Respondent in the first case on whether fringe theatre actors in a profit share production are workers. This case generated national interest and was reported by the BBC, The Independent and The Stage (2015, sole counsel).
Georgina is a reviewer of employment cases for Advocate, and a member of the ELAAS pro bono scheme at the Employment Appeal Tribunal.