Kieran has a broad practice across the full spectrum of employment law, with a particular interest in discrimination (including equal pay), whistleblowing, business protection, and matters involving trade unions and their members. He is regularly instructed to appear at all stages of proceedings in both the Employment Tribunal and in the civil courts in employment-related matters.
As well as appearing in Court and Tribunal as an advocate, Kieran is regularly instructed to draft pleadings and other documents for use in proceedings. His experience of drafting spans the range of employment law causes of action, as well as documents for appeals to the EAT.
Kieran’s recent employment law experience includes:
- Acting for a care sector client in proceedings brought by a former CQC registered manager for automatic unfair dismissal, whistleblowing detriment, race discrimination, and victimisation.
- Representing a Big Four professional services firm in claims for unfair dismissal and race discrimination brought by a former senior manager dismissed for expenses anomalies, and by a graduate trainee for unfair dismissal, disability discrimination, and race discrimination.
- Appearing for a claimant in an appeal in the County Court concerned with enforcement proceedings of an Employment Tribunal award. The appeal concerned a point of statutory interpretation of the Employment Tribunals Act 1996.
- Advising a PR firm during the immediate aftermath of a senior employee’s departure where questions of breach of restrictive covenants, directors’ duties, and breach of confidence were in issue. The parties reached a settlement shortly after service of draft Particulars of Claim.
- Representing a university press at a preliminary hearing concerning territorial jurisdiction in a claim brought by the former head of its operations in Pakistan.
- Acting for an NGO operating in Lebanon in a claim brought by a Syrian refugee making allegations of race discrimination and philosophical belief discrimination.
- Successfully representing a chain of pubs in a five-day trial for constructive unfair dismissal and sexual orientation related harassment.
- Appearing for the Claimant (a teacher) in an application for interim relief in the Employment Tribunal in a claim for automatically unfair dismissal for making protected disclosures.
- Acting for an airport in a four-day trial concerning allegations by a security officer of unfair dismissal and discrimination arising from disability.
As well as claims in the Employment Tribunal, Kieran has a particular interest in wider professional discipline and regulatory matters, including investigations.
Kieran is co-author of a chapter of Bloomsbury Professional’s Termination of Employment, focusing on protection of business interests on termination of employment.