Daniel is a leading junior in his core practice areas of employment and commercial litigation. He is routinely instructed on matters of critical importance to clients and is noted for his deft handling of complex disputes in a manner which is intellectually rigorous, pragmatic, collaborative and user-friendly.
He typically acts as sole counsel on significant and high value disputes and often appears against QCs in England and Wales and (in respect of employment tribunal litigation) Scotland.
Daniel was ranked as a leading junior after only his second year of practice and has been ranked every year to date. His most recent endorsements include the following:
“He is a very sharp operator, very knowledgeable, absorbs points very quickly, has good overall background knowledge and is an impressive advocate. A class act.”
Chambers & Partners (2022)
“Dan is a fantastic all-rounder. He is a brilliant advocate with an amazing ability to remain calm under pressure. He has excellent interpersonal skills, alongside the ability to think on his feet and express his arguments and ideas clearly. Clients/witnesses often comment that they find him extremely approachable and at ease in his company. His written advice is equally impressive and logical. I would also applaud Dan for his attention to detail and ability to see the complete picture. He is a 100% reliable, always responsive and a pleasure to work with. ”
Legal 500 (2022)
“His advice is always based on a high level of technical knowledge and deep intellectual analysis of the case. He is extremely eloquent and his advocacy skills are first class.”
Chambers & Partners (2019)
Previous citations have described Daniel in the following terms:
“incredibly hard working“, a “rising star“, giving a “first class performance in every case“, having an “ability beyond his years“, offering “strong intellectual analysis and pragmatic advice” and “excellent advocacy” in addition to being “very user-friendly and very popular”.
Daniel’s employment practice requires him to act as an advocate and adviser in high level disputes arising out of all aspects of the employment relationship. His instructions in the past 12 months have shown a particular focus on:
- Strategic analysis and advice to SME and large enterprises involved in disputes over the competitive activity of current or former employees, including representation at injunction applications;
- Significant and high value whistleblowing litigation in the insurance industry and the financial services sector generally;
- Representing disabled trainee doctors in addressing the disadvantages they allege are inherent in the training regime;
- Advising and representing an incorporated former partnership on employment litigation involving hundreds of allegations of discrimination and an associated shareholder dispute proceeding in the High Court;
- Successfully representing a senior executive in relation to wrongful allegations of dishonesty;
- Representing and advising an international conglomerate in response to allegations of trade union victimisation and threatened industrial action.
Led by David Reade QC, Daniel is currently acting for the Official Receiver (instructed by the appointed Special Managers) in relation to group employment litigation arising out of the corporate collapse of Carillion, the largest corporate insolvency in UK history.
Daniel’s commercial practice covers the full range of business disputes, including breach of contract, insolvency, breach of fiduciary duty, commercial fraud, claims for and against directors and claims between shareholders.