Sophia has appeared in important recent authorities on statutory employment law. She also has experience of running highly sensitive and confidential internal investigations and grievance and disciplinary proceedings for corporations.
Notable examples of Sophia’s statutory employment work include:
- Basfar v Wong– Sophia was instructed with Mohinderpal Sethi K.C. and Blathnaid Breslin in the first case ever case to have been given leapfrog permission to appeal directly to the Supreme Court from the EAT. The case turned on the commercial exception to diplomatic immunity and whether it applied on the assumed facts of the employment tribunal claim.
- Dobson v 1) Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust 2) Working Families (Intervenor)(UKEAT/0220/19/LA) – Sophia acted pro bono with Mohinderpal Sethi K.C. and Bianca Balmelli for a community nurse in an appeal to the EAT against the dismissal of her indirect sex discrimination and unfair dismissal claims. The appeal succeeded and established that employment tribunals are required to have regard to the “childcare disparity” in indirect sex discrimination claims. Sophia continues to represent the Claimant.
- Plaistow v Secretary of State for Justice – Sophia acted for a former prison officer at a remedy hearing dealing with complex quantum questions. The value of the Claimant’s award exceeds £1 million.
- Ms A v Targus Europe Ltd– Sophia succeeded in defending the respondent against claims of serious sexual harassment; sex, age and race discrimination and whistleblowing.
- Billing v DVSA– Sophia won a complex disability discrimination and unfair dismissal trial for a claimant against the DVSA including winning on claims of a failure to make reasonable adjustments and breach of s. 15 EqA.
- Edomobi v La Retraite RC Girls School (UKEAT 0180_16_1511) – Sophia successfully defended an important appeal relating to time limits in discrimination claims which is cited in both Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law and theIDS Employment Law Handbook.
- Aniyameta v Compass Group (UKEAT/0017/15/DM)– Sophia acted pro bono for the appellant and successfully overturned the ﬁrst instance decision that went against her.
- Bethnal Green and Shoreditch Education Trust v Dippenaar (UKEAT/0064/15/JOJ) – Sophia and Adam Solomon K.C. represented a teacher in an appeal regarding indirect discrimination, bias, constructive unfair dismissal and the taxation of Employment Tribunal awards that has been widely reported on in the legal and educational press.