Joe regularly appears in employment tribunals and the EAT in all types of statutory employment claims, acting for both claimants and respondents across a range of sectors (including education, the medical profession, retail and finance).
He actively welcomes instructions to attend tribunals in Northern England and on other circuits outside London.
Joe is at ease drafting claims and responses involving statutory and common law employment rights. His drafting work has been highly praised by instructing solicitors and clients as “excellent” and “top rate”.
At a public Preliminary Hearing, Joe’s written argument was described as “excellent” by the Employment Judge in the course of giving judgment in favour of Joe’s client.
Recent cases include:
- Successfully resisting a claim of constructive unfair dismissal and age discrimination, following a multi-day trial.
- Successfully resisting a claim of constructive unfair dismissal and unauthorised deductions from wages for a major national retailer.
- Achieving a costs order in favour of a respondent employer not exceeding £60,000 (subject to detailed assessment).
- Providing pro bono representation to a charity-sector employer in a multi-day unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and discrimination case. Successfully obtained judgment dismissing all the claims.
- Representing the claimant in a multi-day harassment and sex discrimination case.
- Successfully resisting a claim for pregnancy discrimination in the hospitality sector.
- Opposing Queen’s Counsel, securing a compensatory award for a claimant in an unfair redundancy claim.
- Obtaining a costs award of £6,000 for an employer in the care sector, having successfully defeated a claim for constructive unfair dismissal.
- Successfully defending a claim for notice pay brought by an ex-employee of a major casino and obtaining costs for the employer.
- Giving written advice on merits and quantum in a high-profile unfair dismissal claim for a senior official in local government.
- Obtaining a five-figure settlement and advising on the contents of a COT3 agreement for a claimant in a constructive unfair dismissal claim in the leisure services industry.